Wednesday, December 01, 2004

"Answers" for Matt

This is the comment I posted at Matt's ModBlog on his post Are you a Christian?



Last I checked there was quite a bit of discussion going on over there in regards to his questions. If you would like to join the discussion, go HERE.



Ron posted his thoughts HERE, and you'll see mine below.



Some of Matt's questions are below, in bolded text, and some are paraphrased.



What make someone (YOU) decide to call himself or herself a Christian?



I never decided to call myself a "Christian". I was raised in a Catholic home with all the teachings of Christ and the catechism. I was born into a home and taught that I was a Christian, baptized as an infant. I grew up believing I was a Christian, and in fact, all my life I believed that I was.



I wasn't.



After some life struggles, I sought help from the One, the Only One I knew could help me and heal my heart. I was 32 years old and for the first time, humbled myself, (or actually I believe Jesus allowed circumstances in my life to humble me), to allow Jesus to take control of my life. I came to the realization that I was nothing, and that I am "nothing". I am a hopeless sinner, condemned to die. There is only One who is able to redeem me, and the only reason He is able to is because He came to earth, lived a Perfect life, and took my sin upon Himself. My sin hung there on a cross on a hill and died in my place. Jesus, the One who took my place on that cross through the ultimate example of humility, conquered death and through His resurrection, proved to a still unbelieving world, that He is God. On April 4, 1999 I gave my life to Christ, and now I am able to enjoy a freedom from the "wages of sin", that so few come to really know and appreciate. Forgiveness. Mercy. Grace. Simple words, with profound meaning. One of those special people that God placed in my life to help point me toward Him, sent me a card after my salvation experience. It didn't say "congratulations, now you are a Christian", it said "Happy first day of eternity".



Christianity is a man-made term which has many "interpretations/definitions" as evidenced by the comments on this thought provoking post.



Being a Christian to me is allowing Jesus to accomplish His Kingdom Purposes through me. It happens "through" me, because He, the Spirit of the One True God, lives within me. He lives there because I asked Him to. He offered me Himself and I accepted Him into my heart. It is stepping out of MY way and joining Him in HIS way. I believe that God is always at work around me, and that as a Christian it is my responsibility through obediance, to join Him in His work.





To YOU, what is a defining characteristic that would lead you to say, "Yes, I am a Christian!"?



Knowing the Truth, that God, my Father, has invited me and accepted my into His Kingdom. Jesus Christ, the One and Only Son of the Living God, lives within me. The Holy Spirit teaches and convicts me.





Why do some people consider themselves Christian if certain Christian beliefs aren't held? Some "Christians" might distance themselves when it comes to proclaiming Christ's divinity. My question, then, is why is there the need to call yourself Christian?



This is a very good question, and it blows my mind that if someone doesn't believe in the divinity of Christ, why they would even want to call themselves a Christian. As evidenced by some of the answers in the comments to this post, many define Christianity by a set of rules. Some believe that by following the "rules" and the teachings of Christ, that alone makes them Christian. This is the same error in understanding that condemned many of the Jewish Lawyers of Jesus' day.



I think some of it comes down to ignorance. I'm not saying stupidity, I'm using the term ignorance, because that is what I was before I was redeemed a little over five years ago. I grew up believing I was a Christian because I was raised in church and raised to "believe" certain things about the Bible and about Jesus, but those "beliefs" weren't necessarily mine, and in fact I often challenged the legalism of the church I attended, but that's a whole other story.



God wants an intimate, personal relationship with His creation. This is not a relationship that develops through following a set of guidelines or rules. In human relationships it doesn't work that way either. Would you fall in love with someone who said "If you make me dinner, tie my shoes, rub my back, clean the house, wash the car, smile at me when I look at you, I will love you." Usually, you fall in love with someone and then try to live to please them by cooking wonderful meals for them, and by rubbing their feet after a long days work. In Christianity, the work is a result of the love relationship with God. Unfortunately, so many Christians use their work to try to build their relationship.



I am more concerned with why people feel they have to fit into that category if they don't consider themselves devout. Is being a Deist not inclusive enough?



Just like I mentioned in the answer to the first question, I only thought I was a Christian. I went to church each and every week and every religious holiday in-between. I accepted communion and went through confirmation. Thinking and practicing as a "Christian" did not make me one. Being a Christian is a heart thing. When Jesus enters a heart, lives change.



I simply believe many people proclaim to know Jesus, when in reality they don't. To me there is a difference between said faith "I believe that Jesus in the Son of God" and real faith. In real faith the belief that Jesus is the Son of God will inevitably produce fruit in the life of that person. It will be noticeable.



There was a day not too long ago that a customer asked me "Are you are Christian?" and I said "yes". He said "I could tell." Out of curiousity I inquired as to how he could tell and he told me that it was because of the way I carried myself and my countenance. I can tell you, it's not me, it's Jesus! I praise God that His fruit pushes forth through me, a branch that only tries to hang on for dear life!



Does the Fruit always show? No, because Christians are flawed humans and can be very selfish at times, but if you look at the life of a Christian, the overall appearance should reflect a love for Christ. If it doesn't, there is a significant relationship problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment