Monday, December 06, 2004

Nations Prove His Glory

Yesterday at church we sang "Joy to the World". When it came to the part "He rules the world with truth and grace, and makes the nations prove The glories of His righteousness and wonders of His love", I became very moved because of the fact that throughout history, the nations have proven the glory of His righteousness and wonders of His love. I started to blog about it and I remembered that I had been touched by this and blogged about it before. So, I researched the archives and found this blog from December of 2002.



As I read it, I realized that what I wanted to write about tonight remains the same as it was two years ago. So, instead of doing all that extra work, I decided to copy and paste the blog here:



Joy to the World!



For some reason, this Christmas, I have heard this song in a different way than ever before. So many times we sing our familiar Christmas carols without really getting a grasp on the message that God may have for us through the words. I remember the first time I braved singing a Christmas solo at church. It was 'O Holy Night'. I was singing it at home and got so touched and spoken to that I decided to sing it for our church. This was many years ago. I'll never forget the moment. God spoke to me the entire time I was singing. I was moved to tears. I wasn't even paying attention to how I was singing. When it was over, apparently God had used me to reach out and touch many. One special, unforgetable lady, asked me to sing it every year.





This year, God has done it to me again. It's not a big emotional thing, but He has caused me to ponder a verse in Joy to the World. That verse would be "He rules the world with truth and grace and makes the nations prove the glories of His righteousness and wonders of His love." I really don't know how to explain my ponderings about this verse but, just the phrase itself proves His majesty and that indeed He is the one in control and all authority belongs to Him. He does make the nations prove the glories of his righteousness and wonders of His love. Throughout history we have seen it. When a nation lives according to His will, that nation is blessed beyond words. But as a nation turns from Him, disaster is the consequence. Yet, His love and mercy always shines through it all. It all began in the garden of Eden. It has continued throughout history.





I have been reading through the Bible with Sue this year(2002). One thing we keep saying is how redundant it is. God blesses, the people worship Him, then they forget His blessings and turn from Him. Next they begin to suffer the consequences of their poor choices to rely on themselves and other false Gods. God warns them of these consequences but they don't listen. Then at their lowest moment, they realize that they can not live without God. So they return to Him with repentant hearts and He blesses them beyond words once again. Then they drift away again and the cycle begins once more. It's history. We never learn do we? Even in my own personal life I find this pattern all to common. But one thing is for sure....In my times of rebellion, He makes me prove the glories of His righteousness and wonders of His love. You see, just like all of mankind throughout history, I have a tendency to rely on myself and this world when I should rely solely on God at all times and in all things. When I try to live outside His will, my life ends up in a mess. But, when I come back to Him, He blesses me beyond words. Sometimes He even blesses me in my rebellion by sending just the right person, or scripture, or verse in a song to draw me back to Him and to let me know that I do indeed need Him to have complete authority over my life.





The world in which we live is in such rebellion. But when disaster hits such as 911, we see massive amounts of people turning to God. They run out of ideas, they see that 'self' isn't enough. They turn to God. Sooner or later, every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. I'd rather it be sooner myself. What's so amazing about it all is His loving mercy and grace. He truly is loving, joyful, PATIENT, peaceful, kind, good and faithful. He forgives us seventy times seven.....just as He commands that we forgive others. Even in our rebellion, even in a world dominated by sin and unrighteousness........He rules the world with truth and grace, and makes the nations prove.........





And yet so many still deny that HE IS





This is my Christmas card to all of you. When you sing about the babe in a manger, may you become like a little child, full of awe and wonder at His majesty, completely dependent, trusting in Him alone to be the ruler of your life. May you hear a new Christmas message when you sing old familiar carols. My Christmas wish to you is for you to experience the glories of His righteousness and wonders of His love.





Let earth recieve her King

Let every heart prepare Him room





Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment