Sunday, November 21, 2004

Carol. Church. Conviction. Communion.

Carol, a member of our church, was diagnosed with Lukemia a year ago. She was given less than six months to live. Now she is in remission, and living cancer free. Praise God!



Carol has no family at all in this world. She is alone. She is unemployed. She has little or next to nothing. Some of her possessions are in our attic, and many more of her possessions are scattered at various other homes for safe keeping. At one point the pastor contacted a local funeral home to make her arrangements because we were told by the doctors she would not last past the first of the year. That was 2003! The church has taken on the responsibility of paying some of her bills, like utilities, to keep her apartment available becaue she is bound and determined to leave the nursing home where she is now and live on her own.



Carol is a blessing to the church because, although she has really nothing in the way of material things to give, nor can she serve, she is an inspiration and example to us. She has conquered the cancer so far, and we hear stories of her dependence on her Father. He is all she has. We believe God has her in our church so that we have an opportunity to minister to her needs. He is using Carol to grow us.



Her treatments began a year ago which kept her in Memphis for weeks at a time. Every now and then she would be able to come back "home" to stay in the nursing home nearby. I'm sure it has been a very rough year for Carol.



It is her birthday next week, Thanksgiving time is here and just around the bend, Christmas will arrive. One of the women, or maybe a few, who have been caring for Carol over the past year thought it would be nice to celebrate with her. They organized not a "party", but a worship service at the nursing home.



Tonight, about forty people from church showed up at the nursing home and we monopolized the cafeteria and shared a meal together. We all had a chance to talk with Carol to catch-up . We sang "Happy Birthday" and then Carol opened the gifts we all brought her. One SaLT group pitched in to buy her a DVD player, so many others started her DVD library by giving her some movies. She enjoys movies and reading books, and we tried to oblige. She will hopefully enjoy those things and it will help her pass the time, until she can move into her apartment which we hope someday she will do.



We sang some worship songs, praised God and prayed together before sharing in communion. It was a wonderful time of celebration and reflection. We took church to Carol since Carol hasn't been able to attend church at Northbrook. It was really a special time.



As I sat and watched Carol enjoy the evening, I couldn't help but feel ashamed.



Carol is a sister in Christ. She was in my SaLT group. Carol sat directly behind me in church each and every Sunday. Carol had many words of wisdom to share about faith and such things in classes we sometimes attended together.



Carol is staying in a nursing home within walking distance of my house. I never once have gone to visit. She has been there most of the year. She is living right around the corner from me!



I visited her in Memphis a couple of times during her initial cancer treatments, but that was last January. I haven't been to see her since, until now. I was so convicted about this tonight.



A woman, with no family lay dying and suffering for the better part of the year and I went on and lived my life. I prayed for Carol now and again, but did I leave my comfort zone? No. I passed by on the other side of the road.



I am the priest going down the same road. I am the Levite. I passed by on the other side.



Romans 7:19 "For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing."



Before accepting the Bread tonight, I asked God to forgive me of my selfishness and failure to show kindness and goodness.



Father, show me my sin that I might lay it at your feet.



Carol lives within walking distance. I should go for walks more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment