Thursday, December 04, 2003

Tis the Season

Retail retail retail!



I got a call from a customer:



"Do you have the Boyz II Men Christmas CD?"



"I have the Boyz II Men Christmas Collection for $9.99"



Rudely, in a stern tone the caller said, "I SAID, DO - YOU - HAVE - THE - Boyz II Men Christmas CD?"



So I repeated in a tone that revealed my irritation "I said I have the Boyz II Men Christmas Collection for $9.99. It is a Christmas CD by Boyz II Men. The Boyz II Men Christmas Collection."



*click*



Yesterday I had an older gentleman come in and it was apparant to me that something was not all right with him. He had a speech impediment that made it difficult for me to understand him. He would alsoo get easily frustrated with me as I worked to help him find the song recording he was looking for. He kept telling me something about "Yumah, but I spelled it with an "A", but on the record they spelled it with a "U". I tried different spellings but was having little success. He kept telling me how he wrote the song back in the 60s, but he couldn't tell me who recorded it. He couldn't remember. He got upset that he "drove all this way for nothin'". He finally got distracted looking for another song. He wanted "Rainy Night in Georgia" which I found for him by Brook Benton. He was telling me that he wrote that song too. I asked "Were you in Georgia when you wrote it?" He said "no, Memphis". (It is not difficult to believe that songwriters from that time would ventrue into my store which is in the next nearest larger city to Memphis.) I then confirmed "so, you wrote 'Rainy Night in Georgia' and you weren't even in Georgia?" and he got very irritated by that and got down right mean when he said "You have no reason to know that, It is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!" So I just said "I'm sorry, I was just interested in your songwriting motivation is all."



I came home to find out who the real songwriter for "Rainy Night in Georgia" was and learned that it was NOT the man in my store today. Poor guy, is probably very confused.



Have to love retail this time of year. We get all kinds!

No comments:

Post a Comment