Wednesday, December 17, 2003

Jeepers

Jeepers, my jeep, is an awesome vehicle that I inherited. It is not often that people inherit $35,000 jeeps with less than 6,000 miles on them. I was blessed, and still consider myself blessed that I have a nice vehicle to drive. I must say though, that I have learned something valuable through my experience with this jeep.



I have learned that $35,000 does not necessarily buy quality.



I could never afford to drive a jeep like this if I were to buy one right out. Sometimes I miss my old $10,000 pick-up.



I have had this jeep for a little over two years now and I have just crossed 42000 miles. I have had one problem after another. The major problem was with the brakes which I noticed as soon as I drove the thing home to TN from Ohio. It took me a year of convincing the dealer down here that there was a problem and I was expecting Jeep to cover it.



I had a problem with the rear passenger side door lock that was taken care of before the warranty ran out at 35,000 miles. I also had a problem with water leaking in the headlamp and therefore causing the headlights to blow. They took care of that without cost to me, which they should have, but now I have yet another broken thing...now the driver side door lock is making a horrendous sound and the diagnosis? The mechanism needs replaced, it is covered under "warranty" after a $100 deductible. Oh brother. I don't understand why with a $35,000 vehicle I have had the thing in for small things that I don't think should "break" after such a short time/mileage.



My little pick-up needed repairs now and then, but they were your basic maintenance things. I drove that thing to 180,000 miles! For an additional $25,000 toward a vehicle's worth, I expect better I guess. Should two lock mechanisms need replaced in such a short time? I've already had the brakes replaced! Seals busting out on the headlamps? What's next? I know, the power windows. I hate power windows. The simpler things in life just don't seem to break as easily. Give me my crank!



I do feel blessed to have a vehicle, and a nice one at that. I also feel blessed to have the $100 to pay the deductible today because I can't stand broken things and want it fixed. I guess I just want value.



If Daimler/Chrysler says the Jeep is worth the $35,000 price tag, then I expect $35,000 worth of product. In my estimation $35,000 should not buy these sets of problems for at least five years!



My own words just came back to haunt me. Katie just responded with a saying she has banned from this household. I used it rather inappropriately toward her the other day, which inspired the banning, and she is now showing me how ineffective it can be. She said "suck it up." LOL



That's the last time that will be used in this household.

No comments:

Post a Comment