Friday, November 07, 2003

93!

God blessed me with a visit by an elderly couple in my store today.



I was rather busy and in the rush of customers I was ringing out at the cash wrap, I didn't notice two older women enter my store. When I finally did see one of the elderly women, she was mulling around the easy listening section. I approached her a greeted her with a friendly smile. She smiled big right back at me and said she was just "wasting time" while her friend looked. She pointed to her friend, so I said with tongue in cheek, "Well, okay, I'll go hit her up!" and the women laughed in agreement.



I greeted the other women and asked if she was locating things okay. She said she was and I asked her if she had seen our listening points. I explained how to use them and she was quite friendly and appreciative. I don't usually get customers this receptive to my help, so it was nice. I let her continue browsing and sampling CDs.



Today I got in the mood for some EWF. I put in Earth, Wind and Fire's greatest hits and we were jamming to some Shining Star, September, and Got to Get You Into My Life. It was fun and that music just made me wanna dance! So, as I strolled down one aisle, I was heading toward the first woman I told you about earlier. A wide-eyed, happy-faced, white-haired women probably in her 80s was headed toward me and she "caught me dancing". (I don't really dance, I'm really bad at it so I invented my own ridiculous move that my staff calls The Sue Shuffle. I figure if I make fun of myself, no one else will be able to take pleasure in that!) So I went right up to her and said "let's dance!" and so we did! LOL She started moving and grooving and we both had a wonderful time for a few moments dancing on the sales floor! We laughed and then she went on her merry way and I continued on my project.



A few minutes later I greeted a very old man entering my store. He wore a hat like my grandpa used to and walked with purpose, although with a cane and slight limp. He was thin and frail, but not sickly or anything. He wore a bright smile and I knew he was probably in looking for his wife. Sure enough when I greeted him he said he was looking for his wife and his friend. I said "that's probably your friend and your wife is over there." He looked and agreed and proudly pointed out his wife. While the women continued to look around the store, this man and I talked and joked around. He was pleasant to chat with and he asked me at one point "how old do you think I am?" I answered, "Oh, I can guess this...57!?" (I knew he was MUCH older than that) He said "Oh come on, you know it's higher than that." I declined to guess and he proudly announced "I'm 93!". He went on to say that he can't stand to sit still! He said "I have to be up and around! I'm 93 and I'm walking around like this!" so I said "well, so does your wife! She and I were just dancing!" and he laughed and asked "really!?" LOL The man went on to share and brag a bit about his bride and how they have been together almost 50 years! Wow! I told them congratulations and thanked them for sharing that with me. I said "you have blessed my day and made my heart happy."



I wish I had more customers like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment