Thursday, March 04, 2004

The Passion...the Second Time

Still powerful. Whew.



Lines formed a half hour before show time. The theatre was not as full this time...maybe three-quarters and I was surprised to see younger children there this time. Hmmmmm. I wonder how they will process what they witnessed today? I understand the argument that Christian parents want their kids to understand Jesus' sacrifice, but I'm not sure Christian parents totally understand, even after the film, so what could we expect for a nine or ten year old? I would think that all the kid sees is blood and brutality and that may be nightmare material. The images of the cruelty of humanity are disturbing to me, I can't imagine seeing that as a young child.



Every drop of blood, HIS blood, matters. Every single drop. Shouldn't we cherish that? Shouldn't that mean something to us as Christians? as humans? If you want to know about humanity...shouldn't we look to Jesus? the Perfect human? Isn't it He that exemplifies what humanity should be? Even those who deny He is the Son of God, will often agree that he was an extraordinary man, a unique human, and could possibly agree that He is the perfect human. The innocent blood of that perfect human was shed. The scene with the Marys wiping up the blood speaks volumes I think. It artistically conveys this principle, that every drop of His blood matters.



I'm still shaken at the sight of Jesus looking into the eyes of Peter who came to realize he just denied Christ. Again, Jesus could have stopped all that bloodshed and all that torture at that moment, but he continued on. He continued for Peter. He continued for me. Peter was immediately convicted and ran for comfort. The comfort he sought he did not immediately receive. He ran to Mary, yet didn't accept any comfort from her, the mother of his Savior. Peter knew she did not have what he needed and He was "unworthy" as we all are. He ran away, still searching for the One who could comfort. "Seek and you shall find" and that is what Peter did.



I still ponder the difference between Judas and Peter. Where was it that Judas crossed over? Satan entered him at the Last Supper and Jesus declared that "only one was lost". In the film, Judas is seen fighting off his "demons", but I figure if satan entered him why would the demons continue to taunt him? Wouldn't they be on the same team? But it seems Judas did show some remorse for his sin and tried to give back the blood money. When was it that Judas was beyond the point of no return? When was it that Judas was condemned? Was it when he accepted money for the betrayal? or when he kissed Jesus in the garden? or could he have repented at that point and been saved? Was he condemned when he took his own life? And why wasn't Peter condemned? Was Peter's remorse more meaningful? Did Judas try to give the money back just to make himself feel better? This is one of those "God knows the heart" issues and I will probably never be able to pinpoint the exact difference between Peter's denial and Judas' betrayal, why one of those men was condemned, yet the other saved.



When I try to put myself there, in that crowd watching Jesus struggle up the hill with his cross, I wonder about what my reaction would be. Horror. It would be horror. I would probably turn away. Or maybe not. Maybe I would run away. Maybe I would want to leap in there and try to help. I don't know. My heart is drained thinking about it. What things did go through the minds of those actually witnessing the event? Some with tender merciful hearts I'm sure were horrified and actively maintained restraint in a situation where they wish they could put a stop to it, but felt helpless to do so. Some even probably understood the prophecy and that it was being fulfilled before their eyes (if they were still around to be a witness to the events): Zechariah, Simeon, Mary, His mother, or simply trusted God in this chain of events. Some were afraid to place faith in a "blasphemer", some probably knew nothing of the events at hand and just wanted to find out what was going on. Then I wonder what the old "crowd mentality" was doing to a few people. It's amazing how influential a bunch of loud mouths in a group can be!



I don't think I will ever absorb all of what He did for me.



I think Dave says it best.

No comments:

Post a Comment