Saturday, March 27, 2004

My Dog Is Sick

I couldn't sleep the other night. I was being kept awake by horrible noise. It was Whyzer's guts. Whyzer (Weezer) is my terrier/poodle mutt. He is 12 years old now. His insides sounded like the Fourth of July! Bombs bursting in air! I laughed out loud about it because his guts were quite obnoxious!



Early the next morning, really early, like 3 or 4 am, Whyzie started whining. He was at the door, needing desperately to be let out. Katie was none to pleased because I missed all of that (I did finally get to sleep) because I was sleeping hard. She was the one that got up to let him outside.



The next day, we discovered that Whyzer at one point had to go and we weren't up to let him out. He messed all over the floor. It was very loose stool...heck, I wouldn't even classify it as stool! ewwwwwwwwwwww, groooooooossssssssssssssss! Anway, he kept whining and needed to go outside a lot. He walked very labored and seemed to be in pain, probably abdominal distress...considering the shock and awe of the prior night.



We kept an eye on him all day, and Katie called me at work to ask if we should take him to the vet. It seemed serious enough to at least have him checked out. I get nervous when my dog is ill, especially now that he is twelve. He's getting up there!



The vet checked him for worms and then asked if she could run bloodwork. She was concerned because in feeling him, she thought that maybe there was an issue with his liver and that his eyes appeared a bit yellow. It could indicate a liver problem, so I said "run the tests".



The bloodwork came back fine. She said "perfect! As a matter of fact, this bloodwork is better than a lot of four year old dogs. I can't believe he's twelve!" She is passing off the illness as "a bug".



$77 and a few antibiotic pills later Whyzer is fine. Except that he is hairy. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overdue for a haircut! (A grooming appointment was made for the 7th)



Isn't he cute?







At the moment he doesn't really look like this. His hair is so grown out he looks like a sheepdog! LOL But after his grooming, he will be as handsome as ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment