Sunday, November 03, 2002

The Offering

Today my church, Northbrook Church, took up an offering. That was odd. There is even more to the story. I'll explain why it was odd, and what "radical" thing I witnessed today as well.

Northbrook is an Acts church. A New Testament church working very hard to be a church with Jesus as it's Head. Northbrook seeks God's Will in every decision and sometimes does some things that are "radical" to most. I say "radical" in jest because, it is never anything outrageous, it is just that we do things in our church that I haven't seen done in other churches. Like the offering today.

Northbrook does not usually practice the normal taking up of a offering. We have a "box" at the exit/enterance of the Big Room called The Gathering Place. This box is covered and has a slot in it for members/regular attenders to put their tithe in. It's rather anonymous, so nobody feels obligated to give. Northbrook works within it's financial means. The giving is obviously sacrificial because while we don't have many wealthy individuals who attend our church, we have amazing resources. It is obvious that the resources are an overflow of the blessings of God within our congregation. We only try to give back what He has given.

I've heard some people say that they don't go to church because they don't like being asked for money. Many churches pass around the collection plate and some people feel obligated to put in money. No church I have been in ever made it obligatory, but I guess those who don't understand the purpose of a tithe might feel odd about not contributing when those around them are digging in pockets and purses to add to the offering.

The tithe is a joyful giving of the resources God gave you. Everything on earth belongs to God. The tithe is giving back to God what is already His.

At Northbrook Church today we were asked to give and I wonder if what I am about to tell you next will ever make the newspapers:

As the offering baskets were passed around, people were told that if they had a need, that they were to "take from the baskets. It may be the way God is providing for you." Pretty radical!

So to those out there who don't want to go to church because you don't like being asked for money...why not try a church where if you have a need, we will do our best to take care of you?

I have seen my church care deeply for it's members, and non-members alike. I have seen Northbrook help families in financial need. I have been the recipient of some physical labor from my pastor and his family when I needed help moving. My church reaches out and touches the community around it. We are not a perfect church, but we are a church filled with people who have teachable hearts. We have a compassion team that actively pursue's those who are in need and tries to help those who are "down and out" get back on their feet. My church will respond to anyone who makes a need known. We will pray for you. Northbrook will love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment