Tuesday, November 26, 2002

Once Saved, Always Saved

I will finish reading the bible cover to cover next month. It's been a wonderful journey. (Well, the trek through Leviticus and Deuteronomy was very l o n g. I'm not sure I'll commit that that again!) LOL

I have learned so much about my Father in heaven and my love for Him is even deeper now. He's still mysterious, even with all He reveals. That's another awesome thing about Him. Kind of like human relationships in a way. I have a best friend Katie. I know her pretty well, but every now and then a new tidbit of info about her will pop out. At those moments I realize that I don't know everything about her and it's exciting to learn something new! So, God reveals enough to allow us to know Him and love Him, but He keeps parts of Himself hidden so we still want to learn more. It's the mystery, the discovery that makes the relationship fun!
Today I ran across a blog at this site.


"A thought
I came down with a really bad cold this evening, so I'm drugged up and tired. But, I just wanted to comment on how interesting it is that Calvanists hold to preservation of the saints in such a way as once saved always saved. I was reading through Credenda Agenda and noticed articles on end times and salvation. He quoted from John about Jesus stating that he would not lose any that God had given to him. I keep reading that (in context) to mean that he would not lose any of the 11 disciples that God had given to him. It's not that our salvation is waxing and waning, like one hour we are saved, and the next we are not, because we have sinned. It's more like an active rebellion against God, after you have tasted of the glories. The wedding banquet parable comes to mind, how God invites many to the feast, and yet they don't come, so he invites anybody that wants to go. Yes, I think this talkinga Jews first, then Gentiles. Yet, what about the man who showed up and wasn't in wedding clothes? He got kicked out. Perhaps it is those who have come to Christ, but didn't bother to put ON Christ. Of course, Calvanists would say that the man never knew Christ in the first place. Oh well. I'm still holding to my belief's that faith can die...at least for now."

I had to comment on it. I may agree with the blogger's assessment of the scripture used to defend the argument stated above, as being out of context, however, I do not agree that one can lose his salvation, that faith can die. Faith is a gift from God. If one can lose his salvation is a point of disagreement in Christian circles, but I wanted to post my response here, well...just because!

Once saved always saved. Salvation is a promise from God if we accept His son. God does not break promises. 
 
Nehemiah 1:5
Then I said: "O LORD , God of heaven, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with those who love him and obey his commands,


Daniel 9:4
I prayed to the LORD my God and confessed: "O Lord, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with all who love him and obey his commands,

The Spirit of the Living God is given to those who accept Christ. That Spirit is a seal.

Ephesians 1:13
And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,


2 Corinthians 1:22
set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come
.


That seal is just that...sealed!

2 Corinthians 5:5
Now it is God who has made us for this very purpose and has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come
.


Ephesians 4:30
And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.


Ephesians 1:14
who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession–to the praise of his glory.

 
I know that many disagree with once saved always saved and honestly I can't imagine my Father giving me the gift of salvation and then taking it away. I can't imagine what it must be like to live in fear of losing salvation. God does not want us to live in fear, a reverent fear for Him yes, but not an ungodly fear.

If we would lose our salvation when we sin, and turn from Him, would not Christ need to die on the cross again so we could accept Him again? When Christ hung on the cross, He said "it is finished"...not "so far so good, hopefully I won't have to do this again."

I AM SAVED BY THE BLOOD OF THE LAMB!WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment