Monday, November 04, 2002

The Blessing

I worked a double today. One of my associates was ill. I knew she was ill, she didn't look good yesterday, so I wasn't surprised when her mom called. I hope she is feeling better. None of the associates I called were available to work, so I worked from 8:14 until 9:40 tonight. I love my job, but I LOVE HOME TOO!

Work has been so stressful lately. Way too many tasks to be doing and I do blame Corporate. I don't think sometimes the "pencil pushers" really know what's going on in the field. They expect miracles and those don't come frequently in the field of retail! Anyway, I am feeling very defeated like I will never be on top of things in my store again. Christmas is coming up and I am so far behind now it seems hopeless. My DM, although he does understand, still needs this turned in by last week and that turned in yesterday. I told him today "I am not the manager I want to be! I love music retail, I love it, but right now I hate being here!"

I was tired. Cranky. Stressed. Worried about all the things not getting done. Starting to feel quite apathetic about it all anyway and then God sent me a stranger. I had a little over an hour until the store closed, the moment I was anticipating more than any other this day, and that's when God sent me a blessing. It gave me appreciation for what I did have. It helped me feel like God was watching over me. It helped me realize Whom I work for. I remembered my purpose for being there, in my store in TN.

God is so awesome. The stranger probably went away thinking I helped him...when, actually he allowed me to gain a blessing. God set it all up. It's what He does. He's the Master!

A man came into my store and asked if I was the manager. I told him I was and he told me he needed a favor. As a manager I hear this stuff all the time...they want donations of product or whatever I can give. I asked him what he needed. He said "My wife is very sick." I started thinking..."oh, here we go!""She needs medicine and Tenncare doesn't cover it." (I believed that! LOL) He told me he asked the pharmacist if he could work for the medicine, but was told he couldn't because of "insurance regulations" or something like that. The man said "I have nothing. Only my cellphone bill to prove that it's mine. I'll let you keep it until I can pay you back. I will work for it. I have asked so many and no one can spare $27, could you please let me borrow $27. All I have is my word that I will pay you back. If you can't help me, do you know anyone who can?" I could tell by this man's facial expression that he was sincere. I could see the desperation in his eyes. This man was willing to do just about anything to get this medicine for his wife. It broke my heart. I told him "wait here, I will help you."

I went to get my bank card. I was praying to myself because what I was about to do could have been very dangerous. I was trusting this man, but more so I was trusting the Lord to protect me. I told my associate that I was going outside for a few minutes and would be right back. The man kept saying "this is so embarrassing. I have a job. My wife, she is so sick and has been out of work for so long, we have lost almost everything." As we were walking over to the ATM across the Mall parking lot, I was aware that I was taking a stranger with me over to the ATM and withdrawing some money. I was asking God's protection as I entered my pin number. The man kept trying to give me his cellphone, drivers license and show me his bill to prove he owned the phone. He was attempting to prove his cause was legit and give me "collateral" or something. I motioned with my hand to put that stuff away and explained "I said I told you I am trusting your word." The man's eyes welled up with tears.

I took the money from the ATM. He accepted it I turned to him and asked him "what is your wife's name?". He said "Renee". I said "I am going to pray for Renee, and my church will pray for Renee". I also asked him his name and that I would pray for him as well. He looked into my eyes so deeply and I could see the fear and desperation in him. His eyes were teary and his lips quivered as he muttered a soft "thank you". I told him that if he needed food that he could come to my church, Northbrook Church, on Wednesday night because it was fellowship night and we will eat A LOT. There will be plenty of food for him if he has need. I gave him directions and I told him that Northbrook Church was "all about helping someone in need!" (Oh, I gave him gas money to get there too!) I explained that I know first hand that Northbrook reaches out to those in need because they did just that for my friend, for me, and for so many others.

Before that moment the man asked me for money, I had been so stressed about my financial situation. I have bills I am paying late. Late. That's all. They are late. They miraculously still get paid. This man is down right now. He was so willing to work for the money for his wife's medicine, but he needs more than medicine for his wife. He needed love tonight. Christ showed him love tonight. I am praying for Renee and Rick. I wish so badly I could have done more for the man, but it is in God's hands. I am praying that God will lead him to come to Northbrook for FWF (First Wednesday Fellowship) and that Northbrook will extend God's open arms to this man and his wife. God took my pity party for myself, and made it nothing. It is nothing. Not only did He make me realize that I have things pretty good, He gave me an opportunity to share what He has given me.

Interesting to think that if I hadn't had to work the double, none of this would have taken place.

Rick had so much humility tonight. God loves the humble. God humbled me tonight. God loves the humble.

I asked Rick where he lived. I am hoping I have enough information to find him, since Thankgiving is just around the corner.

Time to go to bed.

Thank God for all that you have tonight, and while you are at it, will you lift Rick and Renee up in your prayer?

No comments:

Post a Comment