Tuesday, November 05, 2002

The Blessing Part II

I received an email from a reader of my blog. She expressed concern for my decision to walk with a stranger, across a dark Mall parking lot, to the ATM. It's crazy I know. It's also faith.
I can't defend my decision because it was based on faith. A faith God has given me.

On my way home, I was thinking some things about the encounter. I had talked with the man, a bit more than I shared in my blog. I learned that he was a carpenter by trade and had been for 14 years. He is currently employed by a construction company just down the road. I kept thinking about Matthew 25:40

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' I thought it was cool that he was a carpenter, just like my Jesus!

I also thought about Luke 10:33

But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him." 36"Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?" 37The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him."

Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise." I try to do as Jesus teaches. Just like the Samaritan who thought more of the man in need than of himself. Would any of us ever do anything if we always stopped to consider how it will effect us? That's what Jesus taught over and over again..."Do unto others", "Love one another", "sell your possessions and give the money to the poor".

The reader of my blog wondered if he was a con man. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. If he is a con man, he is a dumb one because he gave me his address, offered to show it to me on his cellphone bill, he had ID, and he had his wife's prescription. He also mentioned that he had gone into some other churches who basically sent him on his way. I didn't want to share that because it is not edifying, but it was for some of these reasons that I chose to help him. It was the right thing to do.

Yes, it was risky, but living for Christ is risky business. I believe that had I been beaten and robbed, I still did the right thing by God. He knows my heart and He is who I have to answer to.
Jesus did not teach that following Him would be easy. Matter of fact, He explained that it wouldn't be easy at all, but it is always right. Did Jesus ever do anything to please Himself?

I am troubled by this world. So many Christians out there didn't, and won't help the Rick's of the world. Have you ever found yourself in need? I have, and I am so thankful that God placed people in my life to help cover that need. I know that it is not possible for one person to help everyone and everybody, but isn't it possible that if we all looked to God for guidance on that, He would be able to get everyone's needs met! Imagine it! If we all "loved one another as ourselves" it would really work! I can see a time where there would be no need at all! Will it start with you? me? Who then?

No comments:

Post a Comment