Saturday, November 09, 2002

Where To Hammer in My Nail

Back in August the message at church was "Being Servants in a Selfish World" as part of a series: Being Churched in an Unchurched World. Our church has been working its way through I Corinthians and the message back on that August day was centered around I Corinthians 4.
Paul, one of our full-time pastors, broke the chapter down like this:

I. Servants are faithful (1-5)
II. Servants will be judged (6-7)
III. Servants will suffer unjustly (8-13)
IV. Servants are held accountable (14-21)

He made the point that Christians are servants of God and we are to be faithful only to Him. He alone will judge us. Paul had us view a scene from Gladiator, the scene where the Gladiator's were being picked. I learned from that that Gladiator's were not the prime elite of the military force, they were basically despensable humans that would make for some good entertainment as they were killed. That was there purpose for being thrown out into the arena. They were told they would go out to the sound of applause. Paul had us think about "going out to the sound of applause...hopefully of God." Paul also shared that servants are held accountable. What God entrusts us with in the way of gifts and talents, he gave to us with an intent for us to use them to better the church and to glorify Him.

At the end of the service we were instructed to take a nail. Sure enough at the exit was a large bucket of nails. We all took a nail...about a 12 penny nail I'd guess. I still have it in Jeepers, my jeep. We were asked to think about where we are to put our nail in Northbrook, and that at the annual Covenant Renewal, we will be asked to "hammer it in". I'm not all sure how it's gonna play out, but I have been thinking about where to put my nail.

At Northbrook in order to become a member you must attend a new member class, Northbrook 101. In it people learn the Mission of Northbrook Church, the Biblical Values, and what members are expected to do, things like attend services regularly, participate in SaLT groups, use talents and gifts to edify and build up the church. Paul is having us figure out how we are to apply the principles of I Corinthians 4 personally, to the church. Think about where to put our nail.

I attend services and love SaLT group. At one point I was involved in 3!!!!!!!!!!! I have also wanted to find my niche, a place where I might use my gifts and talents. I found one way to contribute a bit as I will be helping to administrate a message board on the church website. I'm not sure I understand exactly what my responsibilities will be, but I'll learn it no problem. I got involved when I emailed the webmaster and made suggestions about the site.

This week I found another way to help. I was asked to help out with the Ministry 2 Women Newsletter. I'm excited!!!! Just another way God is going to use my talent and interest in computers to edify the church! Woooohooooooooo!!! Can't wait for my first issue to be hot off the presses!!!!!!!!!

So little by little I am hammering in my nail.

No comments:

Post a Comment