Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Firefox vs. IE6

Ok, the tabbed browsing is swaying me, but I do have some trouble with Firefox. I have resolved an issue with Firefox not loading new versions of pages and I am still trying to adjust to the look of the Bookmarks and also trouble with autofill.

One is the fact that it was not very simple to learn how to make the browser load a new version of a page on every visit. That really annoyed me but, I found out through a Google search:
Open Firefox and type about:config in the location bar. Find the setting for browser.cache.check_doc_frequency. Right click on this and choose modify from the popup menu. Change the value to 1 and the browser will now check for a new version of the page on every page load.
I don't know, it just seems easier to tick a box in IE.

My next issue is with the Bookmarks sidebar...I want the sidebar to close all open trees when Firefox is closed so when I open Bookmarks again, it is nice and neat again. I hate how it stays open and looks all chaotic. To me IE favorites has a much cleaner look with the folders, rather than a threaded tree.



*** UPDATE *** Bookmark problem solved! Go here!



The other problem I have with Firefox is autofill. I use the feature and enjoy it, however in IE6, I can delete individual entries from the drop down window in autofill. In Firefox, I have to "clear private data" in order to wipeout the stuff listed in autofill, which clears every single entry! I hate that! Sometimes I simply mistype something and it stays in autofill and I would really like to be able to delete just those individual entries in Firefox autofill.



*** UPDATE *** AhhHA! highlight - shift - delete takes care of this issue! Woohooo!




I have to say though that as I play around more in Firefox, I am finding it more and more appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment