Saturday, May 28, 2005

In The Company Of Strangers

The VFW experience for the Day of Fire performance was like nothing I have ever experienced. There was a time in my life that I call my "bar hopping" days but, I never went to bars like what I took part in last night! Even in my party days I couldn't see myself choosing to hang around a crowd like this. Everywhere I looked I saw cigarettes, beer bottles, piercings and tattoos. Very few had the desire to speak to us and I must confess that my desire to have conversation was very limited!

The bands preceding Day of Fire were much harder than anything I would deliberately choose to listen to. Half way through the performance of Faktion, I found myself unable to bear the disgusting conversation and vocabulary of the band and decided to leave.

Prior to leaving I remember looking around the room and realizing that most of the people present were people who are so lost. This is the "bleak reality" of their life. These are the people we miss as Christians because we surround ourselves with other believers...totally missing the point of what we're supposed to be doing and forgetting that we were once living in the same bleak reality.

I realize that it's not good to "yoke" with unbelievers. But it is God's commandment to love them (see Mark 12 in the Bible). It is God's commission to tell them about Christ (Matthew 28)...which is what Josh Brown is committed to doing. I am so amazed at his call and how God is using him in the midst of the very same crowd that was leading him down a path of self-destruction.

I learned so much last night about how Jesus was criticized for hanging out with "sinners" (tax collectors, adulterers,drunkards, etc..). Jesus responded to his critics by telling them that these are the people with the greatest need. These are the ones who need Him the most. These are the people we (Christians) are called to reach out to. These are the opportunities to reflect Christ's love and mercy that was shed on the cross for all.

At one point Sue said, "So when should we start witnessing?" Although she said this in sarcasm...there was a bit of truth in her statement. But, I felt like in a strange, ironic way, we were indeed "witnessing", just not in the obvious manner of which Sue was speaking. I was witnessing a room full of people lost in the same "bleak reality" that I lived in before I met my Savior. I was overwhelmed with love and compassion instead of the condemnation and judgmental attitude that I was tempted to display.

So the time came for Day of Fire to perform. This was the highlight of the evening. At this point I smelled so bad of the stench of cigarette smoke that I couldn't stand myself. My eyes were burning and my chest was tight. But, I continued to endure because in the midst of it all I could feel an overpowering presence of the Holy Spirit doing wonders all around me.

There was a small group of believers in this crowd. Some of them stood out because they were...ummmm...well...Sue and myself. LOL. Others stood out because they wore t-shirts. Some just raised their hands and formed their fingers in the shape of a cross. Also there were those that looked like everybody else but you could see something different about them. Instead of feeling that people were rejecting those who were worshiping, I felt welcomed. It was so strange. The presence of evil was obvious by looking around. But, the awesome presence and power of God overcame what I saw with my eyes.

Sometimes Sue and I get discouraged and we ignorantly say, "Evil is stronger than good." This is such a lie from Hell. Evil appears to be stronger because every single person on this planet is a sinner. Saved by grace or lost as can be, we are all sinners drawn to the passions of our fleshly desire to be like this world that we live in. Sin looks good! But to the contrary, sin is nothing but suffering in a pretty package. Ultimate deception. The consequences out do any of the temporary pleasures it promises in the beginning.

Last night I saw proof that good is stronger. God is good. Without Him there is no good and that's why evil appears to be stronger. Those who are lost don't have the presence of anything good in their life because they are living a life apart from all that is good. They are living a life apart from God.

I love to worship in many different ways, but my favorite way is through singing and listening to worship music. I can get totally lost in Christ's presence when I get in my little praise and worship bubble with God. Lots of times when I worship in church, I don't feel complete freedom. Last night, in the midst of the evil that was present, I felt a greater freedom to worship than I often do in the presence of other believers at church.

I felt an overwhelming hunger present at the VFW in Jackson, TN. I felt the lost comfortable with the Christians being there. I could feel God calling each and every soul present. I saw victory overcome evil as I witnessed all of this. Then, as we were leaving, an awesome opportunity to be bold became apparent. We couldn't get in Jeepers because Josh Brown was leaning on the truck, while sharing Christ with one of the many hungry who were "watching". Spiritual warfare was taking place and I felt the need to pray for Josh and the person to whom he was witnessing. So, I gathered hands with Sue and Justin and we prayed publicly, there in the parking lot, to help supply a bit of back up for this particular soul in need of a Savior and the one who was witnessing to him. Wooohooooo!!!! What a blessing!!!!!

I saw many onlookers with their beer bottles in hand, puffing on their cigarettes. They had this strange look of curiosity on their faces. I can even feel safe in saying that some of them had a look of longing, and aching hunger...so lost...so in need of a Savior.

I thought of the song, "Shine" by the Newsboys. "Shine, mak'em wonder what you got. Mak'em wish that they were not on the outside looking bored." I think that a few of God's children were shining last night and some others...at least one...didn't want to be on the outside anymore.

I praise God for Josh Brown and his band. I thank Him for their salvation and the ministry that He is doing through them. What a wonderful night spent in the company of strangers. We are drawn together by the common bond that we all need Jesus. Therefore, perhaps we are not totally strangers after all.

John 3:16.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that who ever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Isaiah 58:10
And if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday.


Ephesians 5:8
For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light.

No comments:

Post a Comment