Monday, May 23, 2005

Glory Days

Glory Days, they'll pass you by.

Mine did.

Once upon a time, I played softball. I was very good at it too. I started playing softball in the "ponytail league" in Hinckley, OH when I was nine years old. I continued playing in the girls league all the way through high school and then even joined the women's league after that. I played as much softball as time would allow during those years, from school teams to summer leagues, to church teams and all-star traveling teams. Those were the days.

I played on teams that lost all the time and I played on some excellent championship teams. I loved the sport! I couldn't get enough!

Over all those years I earned many trophies and awards, and even made the all Medina County Softball team my junior year in high school. Even today old coaches that my mom still runs into now and then reminisce about my "heyday" and relive some of the highlights of my softball career, which include some amazing home runs! I was a gifted batter for sure! (Couldn't run to save my life though! LOL I used to say that I have to hit them that far because I can't run! LOL)

I have about 25-30 trophies, awards, and game balls boxed up and in the attic. Many of the trophies are old and the finish is worn off and decayed to the point I can't even read the thing anymore. I think from all of the moving I've done over the years, arms and bats have been broken off a couple of the trophies. I don't even display them anymore, they really don't look good anymore. Now that there is a possible move in my future, I'm considering just tossing these things. What purpose are they serving me now?

Those awards represent a time in my life where I made some athletic achievements. It's been over 15 years since I earned my last trophy. People who know me now have no clue I was once a softball "star" and they couldn't care less. I stopped playing ball when I injured my back and ended up having surgery. My back injury ended my softball career. I don't play anymore and I never will again. Why hang on to those trophies? Why keep them boxed up and moving from residence to residence with me?

But, if it came down to it, could I really let them go?

No comments:

Post a Comment