Monday, February 17, 2003

Nostalgia

Author: Katie

I'm going home to Massachusetts this summer. It's going to be the first time in 5 years. I was looking at the weather map for that area today. They are about to have the worst blizzard in 7 years.....AND I'M MISSING IT! Anyhow, I went to a map to get a close up of the area I am going to visit. When I found the map, I saw the highways and cities I am familiar with. When I got to the part of the map showing Salisbury Beach and Hampton, I got this feeling of longing in my heart. I think it came on because of the ocean. I always took it for granted that the ocean was there. I didn't realize how special it was. There's something about the smell of the fresh ocean air that brings a spirit alive! (Actually, I don't know why the smell of dead fish and salt water should cause one to long for home.)

I saw all the cities I used to visit and work at. I could visualize where certain people's houses were. I remember Christmas past, snowy days, summers at the beach smelling the dead fish and salt water while listening to the squaking seagulls. Sounds wonderful doesn't it?? I can close my eyes and I'm there. I'm watching a planes fly overhead right now! It's dragging an ad that reads "Eat at Larry's Clam Bar". I love New England fresh fried Clams. Oh and Italian grinders! (These are also known as hoagies, or subs.) These things are so humungeous! They have a flavor all their own too.

My grandmother had 9 children, mostly boys. In fact, I think only two of them were girls. My Uncle Philip and Grammy are born again Christians. I can't wait to have conversation with them. I'm kinda nervous because most of my family members are not practicing Christians. I will definately have lots of opportunity to see souls added to the Kingdom of Heaven but, it will be scary because I don't think they are really open to that idea at this time.

I can't wait to sit on the ocean side eating fried clams and onion rings! And then there's Napoli Pizza at Salisbury Beach. It's going to be June so I should be able to actually stick my feet in the water for a minute or two before they freeze off. I want to see a lighthouse on the ocean and have my picture taken by it. Oh I am so there right now it isn't even funny. Well, it is funny in a way because I am in my pajamas! It's going to be awesome because God is going to be there with me! I will be able to see things in a whole new and differen't way! Wooohoooooo!!!!!!! I've walked those beaches hand in hand with that special someone. But now I get to walk those beaches with the Lover of my soul!!!!!!!!!!! That will be an AWESOME experience!

We're supposed to go camping in the mountains. (My Dad's idea of camping is staying in a cabin and I have no objections to that!) I love the mountains but I have mountains here. I am mostly looking forward to the beaches. I'm hoping to take a day away at the beach with my cousins at some point. But, I do want to have a nice quiet walk with my Lord as well.

I'll get to see the neighborhood I grew up in. That is going to be a big heart tug because my grandparents practically raised me there and they have passed away. The last time I was there, their house was abandoned and falling apart. It was so sad. It may not even be there when I go back this time. I think I will really shed some tears. Then, I will go visit my grandparent's gravesides and leave them flowers. I have tears now. I was so close to them. Especially Mimi (my maternal grandmother). She had a swing in her front yard. We often would sit there and crochet in the spring and summer evenings. I remember watering her flower gardens and arranging the ducks on the front lawn. We also would laugh at the birds splashing in the birdbath. Oh and my brother and I used to love drive Bumpa's tractor around the yard. Sometimes we would offer to haul menure just to drive the tractor. Okay, I guess this is probably getting to be a boring read for most so I will end this blog. It's time to come back down to earth and face the tragedy of housework and homework that awaits me today. Thanks for taking a walk with me down Memory Lane. I hope it wasn't too boring.

When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,
The moon and the stars, which You have ordained,
What is man that You are mindful of him,
And the son of man that You visit him? (Psalm 8:3-4)

No comments:

Post a Comment