Thursday, February 13, 2003

A Heart Thing

For the past year or more I have been loving God with my mind. Studying studying studying His Word through reading, in-depth bible studies and listening to messages on the radio, at church, or conventions. I was even reading my Baker's Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics for fun!

I have been longing to feel His Presence more. I have been missing something and couldn't really figure out what. Then, one day a week or so ago, Katie said to me "What you need is more 'heart' stuff". I thought about that and I think she was right. I have been so busy with learning the Word, chapter and verse, that I wasn't getting the stuff "between the lines". I would turn on the radio only to hear teachers give me more lessons. I would avidly take notes at church. All this is good stuff, but I was missing the "heart stuff". While it is always important to love God with my mind and be able to give a reason for the hope that lies within me, it's more important to spend time with Him. Praying. Loving His heart with my heart.

So, I have somewhat changed my approach and returned to some of the things I was doing when I felt so close to Him. I am forcing myself not to turn on radio preachers, but instead l am listening to music that glorifies Him. I am playing music that lift Him up and lyrics that lift Him up and praise His attributes. I have always listened to music, but lately I've been giving more airtime to talk radio. It is helping, especially with all the great new Christian Music out there. I can't get Jeremy Camp's debut CD out of my player! It's got some beautifully written music that is heart tug stuff and reminds me about how awesome God is. How He took our guilt and shame. How he can't love us more than He already does, no matter what we do. How He is always there for us, always.

I have also tried to keep my nose out of the apologetics books and into books that will help me discover God's heart. The book I have been reading today and is really pretty awesome about how God can work in our lives is a book written mostly for teens. It is "The Journals of Rachel Scott". Talk about having a heart for God! This book makes me laugh through tears! It's funny, it's a heart-tugger, and it examines the relationship of one special young woman with her Creator and Lover of her soul. I highly recommend this! It's such a quick easy read and it will touch you.

I am also really making an effort to spend more time in prayer with him. Amazingly, the music I have been listening to actually helps to encourage conversation with my God. I am so thankful for the life God has given me and HE NEEDS TO KNOW IT! It is not always easy, but with Him it can't be impossible. I do love Him so much, and I need to spend more time with Him!

"So take my life, take my mind, take my soul, take my will....I give it all to you!" TAKE MY LIFE!

No comments:

Post a Comment