Wednesday, February 05, 2003

Brass Choir

Had brass choir rehearsal at Lambuth University. I am really enjoying that ensemble. We are playing a trumpet piece for 6 trumpets that is an arrangement of a Bach Fugue, the "Little Fugue" in G minor. It is so much fun! Very challenging, but I am loving it! We have some more work to do on it, but I think it is a great showcase piece. The group is made up of college students from all around the area and noble citizens such as myself. I'm thankful for the opportunity to play in this group. I was invited to play after the directors wife heard me play at a community band concert.

I'm starting my second full year in the Jackson Area Community Band. We are made up of all sorts of people, college students and ordinary citizens. It's a fun group and this season we get to perform "Bugler's Holiday" an old Leroy Anderson favorite. I've played the piece about 3 times before, so I opted to play 2nd part this time. Sometimes I enjoy playing the "inside" parts because it has a different challenge. When I've played in orchestras, I have usually been in a "supporting role" and I take that job seriously. Playing second part means making the first part sound good. It has new challenges. Instead of everyone tuning to me, I tune to the first part.

My trumpet prof in college used to say "I've had a successful rehearsal when the conductor says nothing to me". It's true. A rehearsal is for correcting areas that need work. If the conductor doesn't have to say anything to me, I must be playing my part accurately. It would be cool if my Christian walk were the same way, but I'm always being convicted!

No comments:

Post a Comment