Wednesday, December 18, 2002

Where's Christ in a Christmas Loan?

Yesterday Katie called me at work. She had decided to take out a loan in order to pay for Christmas for her kids. This whole idea upset me. I didn't think that a loan was wise stewardship of money for Christmas. I was waiting on a check that I get each December from a death benefit IRA/Retirement fund that my aunt established for me before her death. It hadn't come yet and we are getting down to the wire.

Part of my Christmas gift to Katie has been to help her buy for her kids each year.

I called the man who handles my portfolio and he told me he would see what he could do to speed up the process, but I didn't feel very hopeful that I'd have the extra $$ before Christmas. I told this to Katie and she was determined moreso to try for that loan. I was upset and said "WHERE'S THE CHRIST IN A LOAN FOR CHRISTMAS?" I said it with a raised voice with some frustration and anger in the tone. I just feel like it's not wise stewardship of money. Regardless, she didn't want her kids to go without Christmas. In her blog yesterday Katie was wondering why Christ isn't revered in Christmas anymore...I was thinking that she was becoming the subject of her blog now!

Then I thought about that blog of hers and about my attitude with her on the phone. I had to call her back to apologize and I said "I'm sorry, there was no Christ in my attitude!"

Katie couldn't get a loan. I can however, so I thought what's the harm, a couple hundred dollars today and I can pay it back next week when the check I'm waiting on comes in. I called the bank and had loan approval in 5 minutes!

Today I went to get the loan check. On the way home I got distracted and forgot to stop by the bank to deposit it into my account. We came home and in the front door was the original death benefit check I was waiting for! It had arrived today!

I was very pleased to have not stopped to deposit the loan check at the bank. Thankfully I was also able to retract the loan!

As usual it all worked out. Katie said " should have just waited on God" and I agreed. Today we thank Him for taking care of us once again even though we tried to jump ahead. He even thwarted the attempt! God ran interference! It would have been a different blog if I had managed to deposit the loan check!

1 comment: