Saturday, December 21, 2002

Am I a Good Employee?

Tonight I did something I never did before. I delivered food to the needy. My church did this. We broke up into groups of 3 or 4 people (or more) and drove to the person's house from an address we obtained from "Helping Hands" a local charity. We had 12 homes to deliver to. Each group delivered to 2 homes, although I got gyped and only got to deliver to 1 house.

We filled laundry baskets with food that would be used for Christmas dinner and other necessities like laundry detergent, laundry baskets, bibles, stuff like that. It was really cool to see all the stuff people brought to church to give to those in greater need. We were given the addresses and delivered the goods. We also invited the people we visited to come back to church for our Christmas party. Snacks, music, songs...that kind of stuff. Some people came back and we all fellowshipped together.

Our church believes in outreach ministry. We hope to be able to establish relationships with people in the community and minister to their needs. Their needs right now include the basics and also a need to be loved and respected.

The message today was all about that. I have not heard it yet, but I have a copy on Cd. I am looking forward to hearing it because it sounds like a message I need to hear. My roommate, Katie, said it was about how to treat the people we were going to be meeting tonight. People in need and people who may not look pretty, may smell bad, may not even have a ride back to the church. These people are probably people in their current situation because of decisions they made in life. It is not our business to determine how they ended up in need. It is not our business to determine if they deserve what we give. It is our business to give. To give love. Laundry baskets filled with food is one thing, love is another. These are people who may not know any other way of living. Jesus would have us build relationships and teach them how to live. "Give a man a fish...teach a man to fish..." you know, that kind of thing. Northbrook is all about helping those in need. Not just dropping food off, but about making connections. That is what Jesus taught us to do.

I often think about the woman at the well. How did Jesus treat her? He knew her sin. He told her he knew her sin. He told her Who He was and to "sin no more". How did he do this? He talked to her. He listened to her. He connected with her. He loved her. It really is simple. Why do we make it so hard?

What is so hard about loving other people? You know what the hard thing is, at least for me? I love myself. I do. I love myself. Not a healthy love...a prideful love. (Who is gonna need to listen to the message on CD, I'm getting ready to give one myself!) I have an amazing ability to look at another person and know something about them. I can know things like, "they are only in that predicament because of choices they made". I look at them and wonder sometimes...why should I help them? Why should I help that person who is probably going to turn around and continue in their lifestyle as if I never existed. Why should I lend money to them so they can foster their habit? Why should I? Why should I? 


I - I? 

See that? My questions always being with "I". There should be no "I". THAT'S WHERE THE PROBLEM IS! Jesus teaches us to love our neighbor...love our enemies. He didn't teach us to love ourselves!


God actually used the Jackson Sun this week to convict me of this poor attitude of mine. There was a front page article on a young couple who is desparate need of financial help. They are living together and have a newborn. The pregnancy was complicated, as was the delivery, and complications arose. Medical bills piled up. They have no way to pay. Their house had been robbed 3 times in as many months. This is a sad story.

What did I think when I read about this couple? First of all I noticed that I KNOW THESE PEOPLE!. The woman was a former employee of mine! I immediately judged the situation and determined that the only reason they were in their predicament was because they chose sex outside of marriage and still choose to live un-married. (I was angry too that this was published in the paper without an ounce of conviction...shacking up is totally acceptable now I guess!) and they had their apartment broken into. I remember her boyfriend...bad news. None of her "friends" seemed reputable and I'm sure there were shady things going on which explains why someone kept breaking in to their apartment...what? You think it's just random 3x burglaries? yep, I have the situation pegged...so they aren't deserving of any help from me!

Then I had a thought...you know Sue, you are delivering food on Sunday to people just like them. It's true. Here I was going to deliver food to the needy and passing judgement that they don't deserve help. As my roommate says "I'm glad you're not God!". She's not kidding! Our duty to GOD is to help the poor and needy. It's a commandment from Him! He didn't say "Help the poor and needy only if you feel it warranted" He said "love your neighbor" and "give to the poor". That's all. That simple. He will do the judging. I am to do the loving and the giving. I am to serve Him. I am not to serve self. When I determine someone unworthy of receiving my gift, I am doing God's job. It is not easy...and God never said it would be, matter of fact He said quite the opposite. Somthing about "taking up your cross"?!

I am not totally compassionless. This I have shown before and continue to show in other ways. This pride problem and judgemental attitude is something I obviously need to work on. God is obviously working on it! Woooooohoooooooooooooo! ISN'T HE AWESOME! I'm very thankful that God is so patient with me. That's something else he is working on...patience!

So, am I a Good Employee? I am a workman approved by God, let me never be ashamed! I want to be a good employee for the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment