Wednesday, December 11, 2002

Covenant Renewal 2002

Every year my church has a banquet. It is a celebration really and we call it The Covenant Renewal Banquet. Each year members gather to celebrate Christ, to celebrate the body of Christ, and renew our commitment to our God and our church. We are reminded of our mission: "We exist to be a healthy, biblically functioning, community of Christ followers that lives out a covenant love for God, a Christ-like love for people, a passionate commitment to truth, and an effectiveness in advancing God's kingdom."

We share dinner, fellowship, testimonies, and worship God with prayer, song, dancing and any other creative way to glorify God.

The theme for this year's banquet was "Whose Church is it Anyway?" The talent that God brought to Northbrook really shined bright last Sunday night with the "Whose line is it Anyway" skit, production, whatever the heck it was! I have never laughed so much at anything in my life. My sides still hurt! I was so amazed at the creativity of the members chosen to do the show...the improvisation blew my mind! I can't even explain all of what went on because it is one of those things that you really needed to witness. It would also help to know the staff members being parodied too! It was a blast! You just need to take my word for it and be bummed you missed it! It was hilarious!

I felt so blessed that night that God had led me to Northbrook. I sit every Sunday in the presence of Him and all of the other family members that He also led to Northbrook. Northbrook is filled with people from every walk of life. Let me give you some examples. Out back of the church there is a trailer hitched...Sandra (who was a wonderful Algebra tutor to Katie) and her husband travel the US and spent the late summer and fall here in Three Way attending Northbrook Church with us. They are humble folk, obviously well-travelled since they have no permanent home...theirs is on wheels and they are just "passing through". On to Florida next week.

David Gushee, George Guthrie, and Paul Jackson are all pastors at the church and professors at one of the top Universities in the nation, Union University. David Gushee and George Guthrie are published authors and speakers, and considered top scholars in their fields, Christian ethics and New Testament/Greek respectively. Paul Jackson, our full-time pastor, is an expert in Greek and an associate professor of Christian studies. These are some top notch educators and God has me being taught His Word through them! I am blessed. People pay big $$$ to get an education at Union and I can attend Northbrook University (the educational system set up within our church) for the cost of my $6 book!

When I first met these people I have to say I was somewhat intimidated...but, then I really got to know these people. Yes they are scholars, but they are God's chosen first and foremost! I watch them serve the lowly and I watch them educate the privileged. I watch them educate the lowly, and I watch them serve God in any and every way. Humble people. That's what Northbrook is filled with. David Gushee and his family (wife and kids) have a burden for Katie and her kids. The kids' dad hasn't seen them in almost two years. He just stopped coming for his visits after the divorce and David Gushee feels that Katie's kids need a male role model. He has committed to being that for her kids and takes them every other weekend. Katie's kids get to see and be a part of a safe, well-functioning family. It is one way God has provided for her and her kids, to break the consequences of "generational sin". It is a miracle in the making. 


At Northbrook we have many teachers, and many retail workers. High profile lawyers, (one of which was so awesome in the "Whose line is in Anyway" skit) and homemakers. We have unemployed people without a home, and we have people who open their homes to anyone in need. We have factory workers and administrators. We all come together at the Gathering Place. His Body comes together...a perfect fit! Everyone has their purpose and the leaders at Northbrook really work hard to make sure that all members contribute according to the gifts God gave us.

There are many reasons why I love Northbrook, but the Covenant Renewal is one of the greatest. Each member commits in writing to follow the mission of the church. If you do not commit in writing...you are not considered a member. This is done yearly, so unlike many churches where once you are on the roll, you are there until death, here you have to recommit once a year. Northbrook has right now about 100-150 members, but 300-400 regular attenders. Signing on the dotted line means that you agree with the core values (all of which are straight from His Word!) of the church, and you understand that if you do not that there is some accountability for that. I like that accountability thing (except of course, when I am being held accountable!). I think that is where many churches faulter...they don't hold people accountable. Northbrook doesn't come knocking at your door because you sinned today, but...if you choose to live openly in blatant sin, someone will lovingly approach you and try to restore you. (Galatians 6:1
"Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted.") I have seen this in action simply by members possibly questioning a behavior and by following conviction of the Holy Spirit. Sometimes the person is restored, sometimes the person needs to leave. It is not an easy thing to go through, but it is important in maintaining the covenental relationship with the church and with God. The last part of that scripture is true too and Northbrook therefore does not a a "lead" pastor, we have a "Pastoral Leadership Team", a PLT. Each member of the team has a certain purpose, but no one pastor has all the say. That is another unique thing about my church.

Northbrook is not perfect, but it is special because it is made up of imperfect people all seeking to do God's Will. We strive to love Him with all our heart, soul, mind and strength. We strive to acheive that "oneness" in Him. I was ready to commit once again to my role in the church and I signed on the dotted line. I am ready to serve Him side by side with my brothers and sisters in whatever way He leads me. Northbrook asks nothing more of its members than to follow Christ. That's all. (That's all? That's all? THAT'S a whole other blog!)

No comments:

Post a Comment