Thursday, December 19, 2002

The Santa Game

Author: Katie

Sometimes I just wish I had told my kids right from the start....Maybe I could have done that and saved myself years of frustration from trying to make a 'good Christmas' happen for my kids each year. I used to think a good Christmas was lots of presents brought by a jolly old fat man in a red suit. Now, I think a good Christmas would be one where Christ is celebrated by NOT exchanging gifts but by doing good deeds instead. But, try to explain that to a 10 and 12 year old and expect them to understand.

I love watching them open their presents on Christmas morning. I am so blessed to live in a prosperous country and have the opportunity to swap gifts with my kids during this time. I do try to keep their focus on the babe. I only wish I had done things a bit differently in the beginning. I wish I had told them from the start that Jesus is real and santa is a tradition. I remember the magic of Christmas when I had that expectation of Santa and the reindeer. I remember the magic that was lost when I learned that Santa is a legend. It's a fun story and a fun thing to do with kids. But, now that I'm older and wiser, I have learned that if I was never led to believe in Santa and the reindeer, then there wouldn't have been any magic to lose. Christmas would have always been special because of Jesus. That is real and I never have to worry about any lost magic. His magic is still alive and real but it isn't magic at all. It is miraculous! (Did I spell that right?)

Now, I'm stuck with a situation. My 10 year old STILL believes that a real santa comes and gives her presents on Christmas (at least that is the impresssion she gives me). But, she is beginning to have doubts. Last year, she asked me flat out to tell her if Santa existed or had I been lying to her all these years.

I still haven't answered her. I didn't want her to lose the magical feeling that comes with believing that Santa exists and I certainly didn't want to compile it with feelings of betrayal and resentment because she thinks I lied to her all these years. I didn't consider it a lie....I thought I was doing something good.....more like a game.......for fun. I never expected her to feel this way. I never did. I learned the truth but I still kept playing the game with my parents because of the fun in it. I still do! They know that I am aware of the truth and I know that they know but we pretend that we believe sometimes....just for fun. I never expected my daughter to feel cheated or lied to. I never did. I'm glad I had the experience. It was fun! My son still plays the game. I know he knows the reality but we still play around. He took it like I did.......like I expected both of my children to do. But, one of them has taught me a lesson. I really wish I had never started the game. Now, it's time for the game to end and it may end with a broken heart or two (because if Tiffany's heart breaks, mine will as well). What to do??

I have to be honest with my children. I'm not going to disappoint Tiffany a week before Christmas. I'll play the game for one more week. But this is the last time. I never thought my children would resent playing the Santa game. I never saw it as lying. I just saw it as fun. I saw it as a tradition... a way of adding to a creative imagination. Although I will tell Tiffany this, I will still feel like I just lied to her. I thought that she had realized that it was just a game. Maybe she did. Maybe she is just playing along.....waiting for me to confess the truth......wondering if I ever will. Maybe she is wondering how much longer I am going to lie to her. What a dilemma.

I don't think parents are evil for doing the Santa thing, but hopefully, somebody will read this and see the possible consequences. I tried to make an excuse for the lie about Santa and then there's a tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny........

I never thought I'd say this but, these things are all distractions from focusing on Christ...things that I have caused my children to have faith in. I never ever saw it as harmful. Now, I see it as a lie is a lie is a lie. I meant well by it. I may try to dress it up with things like tradition and legends, ways to grow the imagination, and fun games to play, but it's just a lie. Now I have the consequences. Nothing pleasant about that. I have to come clean for my kids, for myself, and most of all for my Savior.

I don't criticize anyone for having this type of fun with their kid. I know that some may think I am going way overboard with this. I once thought like that too. Now I face consequences. I do ask that anybody who reads this and hasn't had children yet.......think seriously about this impacted my child and how it could impact yours. Pray about it and make a decision based on answered prayer, not what I said, not based on the incident with my daughter, but just base it on the answer God gives to you.

To God be the glory forever and ever and ever........

No comments:

Post a Comment