Thursday, October 06, 2005

The Soviet Union

Tif is in the living room working on some homework. She's asking for some help trying to identify the languages of some countries in the world.

"What is the language of the Soviet Union?" she asked me, and then quickly wondered "What is the Soviet Union?"

Puzzled, and rather pointed, I asked "The Soviet Union? Your teacher is asking for the language of the Soviet Union?"

There is no Soviet Union! Ugh! Why is the teacher asking students to identify the language of the Soviet Union?

I told Tif "Tell your teacher there is no Soviet Union and hasn't been since 1991!" She said "okay, I will." LOL

(Tif did discover that Russian was the primary language of the former Soviet Union though.)


*** UPDATE 10/09/05 ***

When the question came up Tif said to the teacher in class "I thought there wasn't a Soviet Union anymore" and the teacher seemed to toss that aside and stay the course saying "yes, it is now made up of blah blah blah and the language they speak is Russian."

I think I'm a bit disturbed by this.

No comments:

Post a Comment