Friday, April 08, 2005

Nothing to Do With Iowa

While reading the book, "Big Girls Don't Whine" by Jan Silvious, I felt a confirmation on something I had been pondering for a while. I often wonder why God puts people on this earth who are considered unattractive and some actually may be considered physically detestable by others. I have been thinking a lot about how I criticize my imperfections and how I have my own perception of who is attractive to me and who isn't...and why. Like most people, I desire to be considered attractive by others and a compliment always helps give me a boost of self-esteem. There are things about me that I really want to change. Doesn't everyone have those things? For instance, I don't like my nose. I won't say why because I feel like it's obvious but, maybe others don't see it like I do. However, why should it matter how others see it? God made it the way it is.

In Psalm 139, the psalmist writes, "You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother's womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous and how well I know it."

Do I?

Do I know how marvelous His workmanship is?

My creator has created countless human beings on this planet throughout history and no two are alike! He has created each of us just the way he wants us to be. His thoughts are not like mine or any other man's. (See Isaiah 55:8) Just think about it! He is making each of us unique, different from anybody else. When He created my nose he may have thought, "This nose will be perfect for her, my daughter whom I love! What a marvelous piece of work!" But instead, I go through life wondering if I'll ever get an opportunity to be on Extreme Makeover to have my body made to my liking...or the liking of others.

I have scars on my body from surgeries...surgeries that helped me to feel better. I should look at those scars as the miracle God has given me through modern medicine. Then there's damage done to my abdomen and other scars that I have from bringing life into the world. God breathed life into my womb and all I do is find fault and worry about what the world's view is of me because of the scars it left on my body! Give me a break..even better, Give God a break!

I think the most amazing part of it all is that He doesn't even look at the physical...he made all the delicate "inward" parts and the inner being is what God is most concerned with...who we are, not what we look like. That is also the part that we should be more concerned about. There are many people who are very beautiful but we miss out on that beauty because of what we see with our eyes.

The other day I was putting make up on Sue and telling her that God made a beautiful face for her and now I'm going to cover it up. I said it tongue in cheek but with a slight twinge of conviction. And I still put on my make-up every morning because I feel insecure without it. I don't believe it's a crime or a sin to wear make up. I think it's fun to do make-overs. The point I'm trying to make is...why is it that we let the world tell us what is beautiful? Who started the "perfect body" mentality and who has ever had one? In God's eyes our bodies are perfect when He creates them. We just mess them up and always want what somebody else has. We want what somebody else has determined is beautiful instead of being content with what God has determined that we need. I am as guilty of this as the next person.

Sue made an interesting observation when she mentioned Adam and Eve in the garden. They celebrated the beauty of God's creation until that dreadful moment that their eyes were open to the knowledge of good and evil. It was sin that allowed them to see the physical man and they were ashamed. Prior to their destructive little "snack" they saw with God's love instead of their own eyes. Would anything ever be "ugly" if mankind had no knowledge of sin?

No comments:

Post a Comment