Wednesday, March 05, 2003

Does God Break Promises?

I say no, God does not break his promises. Then why am I confused when I read Numbers 14?

30 "Not one of you will enter the land I swore with uplifted hand to make your home, except Caleb son of Jephunneh and Joshua son of Nun." (NIV)

30 "Doubtless ye shall not come into the land, concerning which I sware to make you dwell therein, save Caleb the son of Jephunneh, and Joshua the son of Nun." (KJV)

29 "You will all die here in this wilderness! Because you complained against me, none of you who are twenty years old or older and were counted in the census 30will enter the land I swore to give you. The only exceptions will be Caleb son of Jephunneh and Joshua son of Nun." (NLT)

30 "Surely you shall not come into the land in which I swore to settle you, except Caleb the son of Jephunneh and Joshua the son of Nun." (NASB)

In any translation it sure looks to me like God says "I swore good things for you, but now I'm telling you that those good things aren't coming...except of course for those lucky dogs Caleb and Joshua" (lucky = obediant/faithful in the Susan L. Prince translation)

This has been bothering me...what exactly did God swear on oath to the Isrealites? and did He actually break His promise? So I researched:

Genesis 17
8 The whole land of Canaan, where you are now an alien, I will give as an everlasting possession to you and your descendants after you; and I will be their God." 9 Then God said to Abraham, "As for you, you must keep my covenant, you and your descendants after you for the generations to come. 10 This is my covenant with you and your descendants after you, the covenant you are to keep: Every male among you shall be circumcised." and then we go through all the circumcision stuff blah blah blah...

Ok, so that was the covenant. There's more to it, but for now I will simply say that God promised to multiply Abrahams family and that his name would be known and be given a great nation.

Was the convenant unconditional? Hmmmmm, I think that when God makes a promise, that it really is unconditional. God will keep his promise whether or not the other party keeps theirs. In the end, God will keep His covenant, but it doesn't mean the other party will enjoy it. I think that could be what happened here, in Numbers 14. The Isrealites complained so much about being in the desert and not really appreciating the fact that God freed them from slavery. They wished that their misery in the desert would just end and they could die. I figure God gave them what they wanted! Still, Abrahams line made it into the land of Canaan, but that ungrateful generation didn't get to enjoy it. What a shame.

When God said "Not one of you will enter the land I swore with uplifted hand to make your home," I think that he wasn't necessarily saying "your" as in all of you here and now, but possibly he means those people. His people, as a whole, not as individuals. He also did give them responsibility when in the convenant He said "As for you, you must keep my covenant, you and your descendants after you for the generations to come"

Did God break His promise? No. Eventually those who were faithful and obediant made it there.

God has promised things for me too. I want to experience those things.

Lord, please help me to have faith and trust in you. Let me yield to your Spirit and be obediant so I can experience the fullness of your glory and the life you wish to give me! Woooooohooooooooooooo!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO LIVE IN THE LAND OF CANAAN! I WANT MY MILK AND HONEY! I WANT MY ROOM TO STOP GOING UNDERWATER EVERYTIME IT RAINS! Thank you Father for the provision of the gutters I will have installed later today and the water run-off the men will create by the end of the month! (Sometimes living in the desert sounds good to me! Less chance of water damage!)

So be thankful for where God has you now, whether it be in the desert, or in captivity, or in His freedom. Each stage of life He takes you through is growing you. He is molding you. (not like the mold growing in my very wet bedroom either). You are there for a reason. Learn from the Isrealites and don't complain. Realize your blessings, He loves you.

I know, easier said than done...I'M TRYING TO DO IT! I KNOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment