Friday, August 08, 2008

Sinful Desires

Katie and I are going through a Bible Study written by Kelly Minter called "No Other Gods: Confronting Our Modern-Day Idols". We finished the first chapter yesterday and moved onto the second week of the study. At the end we are asked a pointed question for personal reflection and I've been pondering it.
"What sinful desires are obscuring your identity in Christ? I don't want you to end on the negative, so after praying and naming those things, write how dealing with those sins could expose your God-given goodness and give you a greater identity in a world of hungry people."
This wasn't an "out of the blue" question, the study built up to asking this question and basically affirms that as Christians we are "strangers and aliens" in this world. We are a peculiar people, but sinful desires can obscure our goodness in it.

Now I was being asked to identify what is obscuring my goodness.

I'm not sure it is that easy to always identify, but then I'm wondering if I don't want to admit what I have already identified, and at the VERY least, don't want to write it down on the page!

I think while identifying sin is important in banishing it forever from our lives, admitting it isn't easy and writing it down is even more difficult!

Is this something I really need to do? Have I really identified it?

Here is something really interesting that Minter wrote "fullfilling our sinful desires will snuff out this burning goodness. By indulging them we actually become the reverse of peculiar and strange. We become ----hold your breath---normal."

No comments:

Post a Comment