Sunday, July 23, 2006

Drivers Ed

I had tears in my eyes as I sat in the passenger seat of my jeep. Today I experienced something that very few single, never-been-married-or-had-kids people, ever get to have the pleasure of enjoying. Justin earned his driver's permit and I took him out for some practice today.

Did I say "pleasure of enjoying"? I may have meant to say ADRENALINE SURGE!!!!!! Nah, actually, he is doing quite well. We only pulled out in front of one car, ran one stop sign, beeped at one crazy person walking in the middle of the road, and suffered whiplash at one stop. Wow, that sounds bad. I must say I exaggerated on the pulling out in front of a car, it was a little close, but nothing that caused a panic attack. Justin will be a fine driver with some practice and the confidence that will come from gaining experience.

I literally did have tears at one point because this young man is growing up. I have no idea what I ever did to deserve the privilege of being a part of a young man maturing into adulthood. Today I was teaching him how to drive! Me!?! I was there at one of the monumental moments in a young person's life! Sometimes I just feel so blessed it is overwhelming. That is why the tears came. Oh, he didn't know it, he was occupied watching the road. My eyes welled up and my heart swelled and all I could do was thank God for giving me this opportunity to be a part of this kid's life.

Sometimes I feel so privileged and at times I wonder what God was thinking choosing me for this special job?

It is not every single person who gets to have a framily. It is not every "not the mom" that gets to teach Drivers Ed. It bloggles the mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment