Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Tornado at Union

In the previous post I shared my experience last night when the tornado hit Union University. The store I work at is in a shopping center that is just across the street from Union. It was the first time I have ever heard a tornado and that 35 seconds of storm is one I won't forget for a long time if ever. I'm sure however that what the students at Union experienced was much more intense and frightening.

Here is a reader submitted photo posted on the Jackson Sun that shows the minimal damage to Jennings Hall. I have my Jackson Swing Orchestra and Jackson Winds rehearsals in this hall every Monday evening, but I believe that is about to change. About 80% of the Union Campus is destroyed or heavily damaged. This photo is like I said, showing the minimal damage to one building.

Some stores, banks and gas stations were heavily damaged across the street from where I work. We have been without power now over 24 hours which made work today very interesting -- and, well, dark.

Cars were tossed about, trees uprooted, utility poles snapped in half just behind my store and dorms utterly leveled. It is a miracle nobody was killed at Union last night.

For more reader submitted photos on the Jackson Sun website go here and here.

Here are some photos by a Union photographer on Flickr that really capture the devastation on campus and includes some aerial views, and here are some from the vantage point of a student.

Union University Tornado pictures on Flickr.

Students are in need of clothing and possibly long term housing. The temperatures were unseasonably warm yesterday so many students were wearing summer wear -- it is no longer warm and they are without winter clothes. Some also need places to stay and there may be other needs as well. Here is a website to visit for more information and to find out how to help: UU Emergency

Special Tornado Coverage by the Jackson Sun here.

No comments:

Post a Comment