Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Gram

Young GramGram was a large part of my life. She came to live with us after Granddad died when I was seven years old. Gram helped raise me and I am who I am today in part because of my Gram's influence.

Both of my parent's worked, and everyday afterschool, I was still able to come home to someone who was there, and to someone who loved me. Gram was also available to run me around to various practices and doctor appointments when needed. She gave of herself unselfishly. She cared for the house too and was a great help to my mom I'm sure, and always had the dinner meal prepared at 5:30. We all learned not to be late! She used to bake the best chocolate chip cookies (which I have never been able to duplicate!) and one specialty I have really missed is beaten biscuits.

I loved my Gram. She kept her brain so active doing crossword puzzles, reading every book in the library (not kidding!), and playing solitaire. When I hear the sound of a double deck being shuffled, it takes me right back to the kitchen table where Gram played. Amazing how our brains can record sounds and trigger memories.

Gram"On the Map" was her very last puzzle. As she did every evening, she sat on the couch watching Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. It was always amazing to me that Gram could answer most Jeopardy questions like a pro, and being the whiz at words that she was, she conquered Wheel of Fortune too! Last night on Wheel of Fortune the final puzzle was "On the Map", two words, and two letters: _ _ T T _ - _ _ _ _

My dad said, "she looked over at me and said 'kitty hawk'".

Then after the show, she got up and reported that she didn't feel well and was going to lay down. She laid down for her eternal rest last night after finishing that final puzzle.

I loved my Gram. My heart hurts today.

No comments:

Post a Comment