Wednesday, June 30, 2010

What is This I Keep Hearing About an "Eclipse"?

Author: Susan L. Prince

I got this Life on the Way Devotional email today. I've never seen anything "Twilight" and I don't want to. But, the way teenage girls are freaking out about these vampire guys, I thought it worthy of sharing:


WAY-FM




Regarding Love and Reality (and Vampires)


by Nikki

Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced his perfect love. We love each other because he loved us first.

1 John 4:18-19, New Living Translation

See This Verse In Context


Dear Tiffany, Madison, Emma, Kaitlyn, Kyla, Meghan, Emily, Ava, Elizabeth, Olivia, Abigail, and (insert name here),

I was thinking about you this weekend. It was while I was watching a movie. It was probably the most anticipated movie of 2009. Females all over the country, possibly the world, chose a team, put on the t-shirt, and maybe even camped out overnight in exhilarated excitement to take in the next chapter of this supposedly timeless love story. I was a little late in getting around to it, but as I finally sat down to watch New Moon, you were on my mind. And here's why:

IT'S RIDICULOUS.

Look, I know it's just a movie, and it's meant for entertainment. I am a movie buff myself, and I love escaping into another place and time and diving into a world of imagined intrigue. It's awesome. But with this one, I couldn't even take that journey because it was just so RIDICULOUS.

Bella's pain, relentless agony, and perpetual longing may seem romantic on a big screen, but please know this is NOT what love looks like. Please know it is NOT normal or healthy to be this obsessed with a guy, to feel as if life is over or not worth living because he isn't a part of it anymore. Or to think this other guy might do the trick if guy number one leaves. Please know your whole life and self-worth will never be wrapped up in any man. God completes you. End of story. I know this because I've let myself buy into that way of thinking before. I thought there would be no life for me if it didn't work out. And guess what? I'm still here. And God is still awesome, and life is still rolling.

Sure, I get it. It's a movie and it's fun. Go ahead, watch, enjoy, be entertained. But it's just a story. Please don't get too caught up in the picture of love Edward and Bella paint for you. Please don't buy into it, or you may miss out on how big and life-changing love can really be. I was thinking about you as I watched this, and I just had to tell you.

Nikki

For more thoughts from Nikki and other fun stuff, check out morningswithbrant.com.


footer Manage your subscriptions Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

©Tyndale House Publishers 2010
351 Executive Drive, Carol Stream, Illinois 60188
Exploring Christianity Bible Study Bible Search Way FM New Living Translation

No comments:

Post a Comment