Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Spring Survives!!!!

This morning, as I drove into work, I was taken aback by the beautiful spring scenery before me. The trees’ blossoms resembled the snow that covered their barren limbs just a week ago! It’s hard to believe that everything was under a frozen blanket so recently and still spring is bursting forth right on schedule as usual! (I don’t know about you, but I find that pretty exciting!)

While I was absorbing the beauty of the morning, my thoughts were drawn to one solitary buttercup that had blossomed by my front porch for the first time this year. After several days of frigid temperatures, and being buried under a blanket of snow, I recalled glancing the flower just yesterday, still alive and just as beautiful as if the cold and snow never happened. As I marveled about this, my mind was directed to Matthew 6:25-30:

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet, I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how god clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?”

I often find myself losing sleep worrying over things that I should be trusting God to deal with. When it finally becomes overwhelming, as a last resort, I fall to my knees (when it should have been my first instinct). Philippians 4:6-7 tells us to make our requests known to God and then peace will settle our hearts and minds in Christ. It is only after I have laid my burdens before Him that I find peace and rest. We are in such a time of economic and social crisis in our world. It is likely that even the strongest in faith will be tempted to worry. Let the words of God be a constant reminder in these difficult times; to fall down before our Savior and let Him carry the weight of your burden because his burden is light (Matt. 11:30).

No comments:

Post a Comment