Wednesday, January 16, 2008

One of the Best Letters Ever Received

Below is a letter I received from a friend years ago. I had written her asking for some help with some life situations I was dealing with at the time. This letter was her response and it changed my life. As I am currently re-examining my life in Christ, I was drawn back to this letter, back to basics if you will, and wanted to share it. This letter from my friend is one of the best letters I have ever received because within its pages contains life changing wisdom and encouragement.
Saturday, February 27, 1999

Dear Sue,

I was thankful to receive your letter and humbled. Over the years, this is something that I have prayed for, that you would come to a place where you would re-examine your life, your faith and how you are living it out in your daily life.

I will attempt in my very human perspective to answer your questions and share with you what I can about my own spiritual journey.

I can only assure you what you are experiencing is normal. God created us as two dimensional beings ... a physical dimension and a spiritual dimension. The spiritual dimension can only be filled with the presence of God. Yet, we spent our lives trying to fill it with other things ... material possessions, drugs, alcohol, pursing goals and jobs that make us feel worthwhile, relationships, etc. We reach a point where it is all meaningless and wonder what is the purpose of life and is there really eternal life ... it is all so mystical. Each person internally whether they ever acknowledge it or not is aware at some level of God, the creator of the universe.

I believe Jesus allows pain, crisis, discomfort to come into our lives. It is during those times we grow in our relationship with Him. So, while I do not want to diminish your situation, I am thankful for it as it is causing you to examine your life in Him.

I can share with you that our God is a God of GRACE (Gods total unmerited love for us), FORGIVENESS (His grace reaches lower than our worst mistakes, no matter where we have been or what we have done, we are NOT beyond HIS forgiveness and love), MERCY (a just God who Hates sin will extend HIS MERCY to us if we only ask for HIS FORGIVENESS), LOVE (it is his love for me that I am most in awe of. How could HE love me? I lived much of my life denying HIM, the one who died on the cross for my sins). HE DOES NOT CHANGE! In world where our acceptance or rejection by others is often based upon our ability to perform to their expectations, meet their needs, God just loves us.

Let me share this phrase with you that I hear for the first time at Open Door Church one Sunday in May, 1994 that totally changed my life.

There is absolutely nothing I can do to make God love me more; there is nothing you can do to make God love me less. He loves me because of who HE is, not because of who I am are or what I have done.

We all, and I mean all, have fallen short of God's standard of perfection. No one will enter the kingdom of heaven based upon any deed or act of service they have performed during their lifetime.

You can only enter the kingdom of heaven by humbling yourself before the Lord Jesus Christ and accepting what HE did on the cross and placing your faith for eternal life in HIM.

Accepting Christ, His forgiveness ... placing your faith in Him this is what secures your place in His kingdom. Please do not let anyone or any self doubts you have diminish that idea. I will say it again, "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be SAVED!" You don't have to clean up anything in your life before Christ accepts you all you have to do is Believe.

Church. I would encourage you to find a church that preaches the gospel, the Holy Scriptures. I will be in prayer about that for you. Where you land church wise is an important step.

Sue, I can only assure you that it is not easy. Humility, submission, faith, at least for me it has not been easy. Many a night I have been on my knees weeping tears and crying out to the Lord to heal my hurts, take away the consequences of my sin.

The bible I have sent is like the one I read. It is a Life Application Bible. What that means is on the bottom of the can refer to chapter and verse an application to our day to living. That has helped me a lot in being able to apply the God to my daily life. And I fail everyday...

I would encourage you to start in the book of John, the fourth of the New Testament gospels. I would recommend you read, meditate on one Chapter each day.

When you hurt ... go to the book of Psalms

When you are seeking right living ... go to the book of James

When you are looking for meaning or the lack there of in life ... read Ecclesiastes

Talk with God, tell Him how you feel, really feel. He is aware of all your thoughts and feelings. You will tell Him absolutely nothing that will surprise Him. The Lord desires us to share our hearts with Him.

Think of Paul, the author of much of the New Testament. He ran around after the death of Christ killing Christians! Killing em. Then he met Jesus. His life was changed. He spent the rest of his days sharing the gospel with whoever would listen, writing letters from prison to encourage fellow believers to stay the course.

Think of King David ... he committed adultery then killed the woman's husband to cover up his sin. Through it all, David loved God and desired to live for HIM. God never took away the consequences of David's sin but I know He blessed David in his life, in his reign as King. I know David is with Jesus in eternity today.

Think of Peter ... Peter one of the chosen 12 who denied even knowing Christ the night Christ was betrayed. Yet the Lord restored Peter.

Sue, this is an exciting time in your life. I would say the most exciting time. Maturity has taught me this the older I get there is not a whole lot in life to get upset about not a whole lot that is truly urgent. Matter of fact for me the only thing that is truly urgent is a person’s salvation. The reason being anyone of us could die at anytime ... where will eternity be spent? Living eternally with the Lord or living eternity in separation from the Lord.

I could ramble on and on but I believe it is best I stop here.

I believe we will have much to share in the coming weeks and months.

I will be in prayer for you.

Yes, Sue you may write in the Bible, I purchased it for you. Underline, write notes, read it, believe it. The bible is the divine word of God and will stand the test of time. I am basing my whole life and being on the validity of the word!!

Stay in touch, my friend.

There is nothing outside of the forgiveness of God, keep telling yourself that over and over. Change is not easy it is very scary.

The Lord will help you, strengthen you to do what needs to be done ... just ask and rely upon His perfect timing.

Love,

I've left off my friend's name because I know her well enough that she wouldn't want the attention...she'd pass it off to God. Her humility is one of the things I admire about her. So, in a sense, this is a love letter from God, he just used my friend to get it to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment